Saturday, August 6, 2011

My daily bread

As I mentioned previously, we have had a crazy summer. I am so sick of looking at the inside of the car. My back aches continuously, my right arm and shoulder hurt from reaching into the backseat to pass a drink, open a snack, fetch a mink-mink, etc. etc. And if I hear, "I need a go POOOTTTTTTYYYY!!!!" one more time in the middle of a tree-lined highway with no exits, I swear I may drive off the next bridge we are driving over. Let this be a warning to all: As of September 1st, the Pruitt's are taking a month off of the road. We will not take trips requiring more than a 15 minute ride so if you want to see us, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the trees because we are DONE!!!
Oh wait, I have a niece due in Sept. Hmmmm..... Ok Kylie; you are the exception. We will travel for you but for no one else. But if you want to make your grand entrance say at the end of August, I wouldn't complain. Oh, and if you can come a little quicker than your brother did, that would be good too. Your cousin Lucy will have taken over the hospital bythe time you come out if we have to wait there for 24 hours.

Wasn't this post supposed to be about something positive? Where was I going? Oh yes...

So Lucy and I are driving tonight from my parents house in Sumter to my inlaws house in Columbia. (We have spent a total of 6 hours in the car since Thursday not including around town driving and we have an hour and a half drive home tomorrow. I'm done I tell you!) Anyway so we're driving to Columbia and my little passenger was being a real trooper (this is very rare). She started the trip with some Cars graham cracker cookie things and raisins and she was just as happy as a clam. She sang along to Travis Cottrell (she loves him which just makes me smile) and found 1 book out of the car book stash and her pink doctor kit to keep her busy for about 30 minutes. When we were about 10 minutes away from my inlaws, I realize that she's been talking almost the whole way. (I have no shame. I tuned my child out for a good 30 minutes. It was blissful. Don't hate... she was perfectly content.) Anyway so I realize that she's been talking and talking but suddenly she's gotten a little louder and she's saying, "You ok, you ok? You need another band-aid?". Curious as to which happy meal toy she's rescuing (again, I have no shame), I look back there and she has her hand open and she's talking to it like there is a person in there. She slowly looks up at me and gives me an embarrassed little grin like she's been caught doing something then glances around and quickly picks up the blood pressure cuff and says, "You help me with dis?" as if to cover up the fact that she was talking to nothing in her hand. It was so innocent and adorable that I was overwhelmed with love for that little stinker. There are so many days that I want to lock myself in a sound proof room just for 10 minutes so when sweet little moments like this happen I am reminded of how precious children are and so thankful that I have been entrusted with my little princess. It's hard to describe an interatction like this in writing, but I'm sure that (for those of you who have children) your little miracles do similar things daily so you know what I'm talking about. Oh what a blessing kids are!!! Hopefully I'll remember that sweet little expression the next time she dramatically throws her head back and screams at the top of her lungs because she thinks the bread at dinner is cake and is very disappointed to learn the truth. (That happened last night.) Oh Lucy, how I adore you!

No comments:

Post a Comment