Thursday, August 25, 2011

Homemade Dryer Sheets- The cutest you ever did see!

A very long time ago I promised to post a tutorial for homemade dryer sheets. I made them and had pictures ready to post but I wanted to try them before I recommended them. At the time, I was using a dryer bar so the dryer sheets were put in the garage to wait their turn and then we moved and I lost them. I have no idea where they are so I started over. Lucky for me, too, because I like the new ones a million times more than the originals. Not the way they work on the clothes, but how they look. (Isn't that all that really matters anyway?) I used this recipe with a few minor changes:
1. My flannel is way cuter!
2. I didn't have natural fabric softener so I used good ol' Downy. When I finish my bottle of Downy (which will be like 3 years from now because the recipe only calls for a small amount) I'll use this recipe to make my own fabric softener. If you don't have any fabric softener and want to give it a try, let me know what you think.
3. I have more pictures.

You will need:
  • flannel- I used a pair of old pajama pants for the 1st ones and 1 of Lucy's old receiving blankets for these.
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup fabric softener
  • small bowl
  • wire whisk
  • storage container- I used an old wipes container for the 1st batch but I don't have those anymore so I rolled them and used a glass jar. (Let me just say, I am loving glass jars right now and love finding new uses for them.)
Step 1: Cut your flannel into strips. I cut mine into 4x6 in strips but it really doesn't matter.

Step 2: Put your strips into your container.

I rolled mine to put them in the jar. (Really, how precious will these be sitting on my dryer???)
To roll them, lay 1 strip on a flat surface. If your strips have a patterned side and a non-patterned side, you'll want the patterned side facing down. Cover 3/4th of the strip with a 2nd strip.

Continue lining your strips in this way until you have enough to fill the jar. I did about a 20 inch line but it doesn't really matter as long as they will fit in your container.

Beginning with the last strip laid, roll your strips toward you catching the ones underneath.

If you are using a wipes container or similar container, simply stack your strips.

Step 3: Mix fabric softener and water in a small bowl with a wire whisk.

Step 4: Pour your fabric softener over your flannel strips and shake.

To use:
  • Let your flannel strips sit for at least an hour before using.
  • Shake container before each use.*
  • Use 1 strip per load.**
  • Wash your strips after using then save to use for another batch.
My thoughts:
At first I was a little disappointed when I poured the fabric softener mixture on the strips because they kind of crumpled to the bottom. But, after a few days I decided I didn't really care because I have the cutest dryer sheets ever sitting on top of my washer in a glass jar for all the world (or whoever comes into our house) to see! Also, I feel like the mixture probably distributes itself a little more evenly rolled in the jar than in stacks. Don't have any jars? How does Mexican (salsa) or spaghetti sound for dinner? Save your jars and reuse them all over your house.

**I used 1 sheet for the first load and my clothes had some static so I used 2 in all of the loads after that and it hasn't been a problem. I couldn't really tell a difference in the softness of our clothes but our towels are definitely softer than with Bounce dryer sheets. I can't wait to wash my sheets with them! (I just love clean sheets, don't you?!)

*I started keeping my sheets on the washer instead of the dryer because my sheets get a good shake during the spin cycle and are ready for the dryer when the washer stops.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment