Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sewing Sisters

While on vacation this summer, my sister-in-law and I decided we wanted to learn how to sew and make our own baby clothes. (I'm going to pause now so those of you who know me well can reread that sentence, catch your breath, and prepare yourselves for the rest of this post.)

Oh good! You managed to pick yourselves up off of the floor, found your way back to the computer, and are now ready to continue.

For those of you are aren't so familiar with my sewing abilities, let me provide some background info. I kind of know how to sew on a button. I can actually thread a needle and get it through the holes and the button stays on, but it certainly doesn't look like it did when I originally purchased the article of clothing from the store. I have been known to hot glue the hem of my pants because, lets face it, if my button sewing skills are questionable, why would I attempt something as complicated as the entire hem of a pair of pants? (Hot glueing works just fine, by the way.) Once, in college, I got the urge to learn how to sew a sundress. "How hard could it be," I thought. I borrowed a sewing machine from a friend, picked out a pattern and material, and was on my way. Until I actually took the sewing machine out of the box. I couldn't figure out where the thread was supposed to go. I gave up on the sewing machine and decided to do it by hand. Until I unfolded the pattern and couldn't figure out which piece was the top and which was the bottom. Nor could I figure out how to measure myself and translate that into a size for the dress. The whole event lasted about 20 minutes. I returned the sewing machine the next day and decided that my store bought dresses were well worth the price. I mean, out there somewhere was a genius who not only knew how to thread the sewing machine, but also came up with a design without a pattern to follow.

Fast forward 5 years, add a husband and a kid and you can find me on the couch in a fabulous penthouse suite looking at a Facebook page for a friend of Lindsay's who has started a business making precious children's clothes. I believe our exact words were, "We could so make that!" (Kelsey, this has brought back so many memories for me!) Right when we got home, I began researching sewing machines and asking around for potential brave women to take on the challenge of a lifetime and teach my sister-in-law and me how to sew. Perhaps the Lord has blessed me with a gift that has yet to be unlocked because soon after deciding to embark on this new adventure, Lindsay's church announced that they would be sponsoring a quilting class for beginnings (for FREE!!!). We signed up with hopes that this class will give us some sewing basics and perhaps something semi-resembling a quilt by the end.

We began our class 2 weeks ago. (I know, I'm a blogging slacker.) We arrived happy to find that we are not surrounded by 100 year old ladies who have been quilting for years and just need something to do on a Thursday night. Actually, we aren't even the youngest in the class nor are we the only ones without experience. However, I think we kind of scared the teacher when we not-so-sutlely described just how clueless we are. When she informed us that we would not be bringing our sewing machines to class since she will simply be demonstrating what we will be doing for homework each week, I think Lindsay and I had a moment of slight panic. We left her speechless when we asked, "But who will show us how to turn the machine on?" I think she had a moment of slight panic when she asked, "Well, what kind of machine do you have?" and we responded, "Well, it depends on what kind you tell us to get tonight." Everyone in the class gave their input on machines, we said a polite "good-bye," and left the poor lady to rethink her description of the class as "beginner".

I completed the first homework assignment, purchasing supplies (for me, that included a sewing machine) with only a little assistance from Jeff. (I'm glad one of us knows what batting is.)

Yes, that is a sewing machine you see back there, thanks to all of the family members who contributed to my wonderful birthday present. And, after reading the manuel, I now know how to turn it on! (My mom is going to show me how to thread it this Thursday.)

Class number 2 taught us how to cut our fabric into the blocks that will eventually be sewn together in our quilt. The teacher demonstrated it and then gave us a turn to practice. I think I shocked everyone when I cut it perfectly on the first try. However, the lady did call my fabric "interesting" and when I asked if I could use satin ribbon for the binding she responded with "Well, I've never seen a quilt with a satin binding, but if you can figure out how to make it work then go ahead." I don't think I need to attempt anything new and exciting on my first masterpiece so I will return the satin ribbon and choose some fabric. (Remember Lucy, Mommy doesn't always make the rules; she just follows them.)

I'm happy to report that I successfully completed homework assignment #2 with no problems (and I didn't need any help from Jeff).


No comments:

Post a Comment